Until Lions have their own historians, tales of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Colours



She is Draupadi. I painted her yesterday. It took me five hours of paint brush and an almost three feet canvas to finish her. In the end, I felt very uncomfortable. Something about her straight hair, wide eyes, full lips and a workable nose made me uneasy. It was the first time I painted a full face. May be that was it.

I never sketch. I feel that it bounds me. The lines control the possibilities of what could have been. That's why I just paint. I love the vibrancy with which the colours overtake the dull stretched cotton, the way they amalgamate together irrespective of the relationship with each other, expressing without any complication the basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on. The most amazing thing about colours is that even though there are only five colours the combination of them create hues never seen. This reminds me of what Julia Cameron said, "Art is not about thinking something up. It is the opposite-getting something down." I believe that. Colours have this uncanny ability to bring out what is hidden in your subconscious and then follow those emotions till the time you get them right on the blank canvas. Its only then, I believe, one can keep the brush down. That's why I like painting. Its like colours have this possession over me. I don't have to pursue it. It will possess me. Like my mom always told me- "the true meaning of painting comes into existence when Colour and the being become one. That's when one becomes a painter." I am not an artist. I am a painter. Colours not only provides me with an assurance that even though I have brought to the surface my subconscious, my thoughts are still safe and free, flowing in whatever direction they wish to choose. May be that is also the reason I dislike giving names to my painting.

But yesterday, it came out all in open. Even though I didn't sketch, there was this huge set of questioning eyes that I painted and felt answerable to. As if they were asking, "Everything in your heart will flow through my eyes. How do you like it?" I felt I had painted my inability to speak through her closed lips and life tangled in customs through vermillion, nose ring and the pattern on her neck. I felt bound and held together. I felt betrayed. I kept the brush aside. With colours all over my legs and hands, I stepped a little away to have a better look. As I was looking at her, I realised my choice of colours. Her face was orange, her neck had a pattern. I thought hard. Fire. The word came to my lips. Fire has shape, an ever changing one. Did my painting has one too? I didn't know. So I turned off the bulbs, open the blinders and looked at it in the natural light. It looked more peaceful. I turned the bulb on, it looked aggressive. Yes like fire, I decided, "my painting, too, have a shape, an ever changing one." That's when it hit me. The colour, flowing hair, open eyes and the pattern on the neck which is supposed to be on the feet- its all against the tide, yet glowing- Draupadi. The colours have done me justice once again.

8 comments:

Meg said...

Wow! Thats really good :)The moment I get a job I am gonna buy a painting from you :) Keep up the good work!

Best wishes!

Phoebe said...

I don't know you at all but looking at the painting, I had the feeling you had unconsciously painted yourself onto Draupadi's face ... maybe the eyes .... Art is such a wonderful way to get in touch with yourself. Like you, I don't sketch ... never had the patience to ... and my paintings tend to take on a life of their own. Sometimes I stand back and stare and wonder what my paintings are saying to me :D I love your colours!

Anu said...

Thnak you Melpomene. BTW, beautiful name "the one that is melodious". Lovely.

Anu said...

Thanks Meghna

cosmic clown said...

lovely work..words Anupama...
what better way then to see the painter speak abt her own painting...her own creation...being one with the creator....

"The true meaning of painting comes into existence when Colour and the being become one. That's when one becomes a painter."
great thoughts in deed......
and i can see Draupadi through your eyes and colors......

Ramesh said...

Liked your creation "Draupadi", I wonder why you painted her RED !!!

Anu said...

Drapaudi was the daughter of fire. The orange represents not only her birth but the passion that ruled her, the desire that drived her and the energy that oozed out in her every word.

sewa said...

loved ur painting!